Welcome to the Tulsa County Community Sentencing Website
What is Community Sentencing?
Requirements for Community Sentencing Community Sentencing Counsel Members Community Sentencing Contact Information
Driver's License
Click Here for Information on Treatment Providers
Driver's License
.: Suspended or Revoked?
.: Adult Drivers
.: Hardship License
.: Ignition Interlock System
.: Regaining Your Driving Privileges
.: Helpful Links

Suspended or Revoked?

A suspension is a temporary loss of the privilege to drive. The State may reinstate your driving privileges after a certain amount of time or by the payment of a fee.

In some cases, you may be able to restore your driving privilege by taking care of a particular issue, such as the purchase of liability insurance.

Revocation is a way to both discipline a driver and to protect the public. If your license is revoked, it means that you are no longer allowed to drive. A revoked license is usually permanent for a pre-determined period of time as set by law.

You could be required to re-take the driver's license knowledge and skills test and there may be a court hearing regarding the reinstatement of your license.

Adult Drivers

Oklahoma has a stringent policy on license revocations. Any of the infractions listed below will automatically result in the immediate revocation of your driver's license for a period of six months to three years:

  • Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from operating a motor vehicle.
  • Driving or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants.
  • Any felony in which a motor vehicle is used.
  • Failure to stop and render aid if you are a driver involved in a collision resulting in death or personal injury (leaving the scene of a collision, i.e., hit-and-run).
  • Perjury or making a false statement under oath to obtain a license of for any other legal matter relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle.
  • Any drug conviction (misdemeanor or felony); this does not have to involve a motor vehicle.

You may also be subject to revocation of your driver's license if you are convicted of multiple traffic violations. Oklahoma has a mandatory point system, where points are accumulated against your record for moving violations.

.: Back to the top  

Hardship License

Depending on the circumstances of your license suspension or revocation, you might be able to get a hardship license. This license allows you to drive with limitations, including:

  • To and from work
  • To and from alcohol treatment
  • To and from church
  • During daylight hours only

To get a hardship license, you might be required to install an ignition interlock system in your vehicle (see below). Call (405) 425-2098 to find out more about hardship licenses.


Ignition Interlock System

If you have lost your license due to alcohol, you will probably be required to have an ignition interlock system installed on your vehicle.

The ignition interlock system is a mechanical device installed into your vehicle that makes it impossible for you to drive if you have been drinking. The interlock system is similar to a Breathalyzer, in that you must breathe into a tube or aperture before you can start your vehicle. If the system detects alcohol, your vehicle will not start.

Call (405) 425-2098 for further information about obtaining an ignition interlock system.

Regaining Your Driving Privileges

Except in the cases of repeat offenders, a license revocation does not have to mean that you will never drive a motor vehicle again. There are a number of ways you can regain your driving privileges, depending on the nature of the infraction. These reinstatements are determined on a case-by-case basis and depend on a variety of circumstances.

Steps for License Reinstatement

Steps to Reinstate Your Driver's License

Shortly after your arrest, you should receive a letter from the Department of Public Safety that will include:

1.) Amount of reinstatement fee

2.) Date you are eligible to reinstate your license

3.) Instructions to obtain An Alcohol/Drug Assessment and follow the recommendations.

You must have an Alcohol/Drug Assessment. This evaluation MUST be performed by a counseling professional CERTIFIED by the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. At the end of your assessment, you will be given specific requirements to complete (DUI School, Victim's Impact Panel, substance abuse treatment, etc.).

When you finish the requirements, return proof of completion to the Assessor. At that time, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to you. This Certificate will bear an embossed seal and red stamp indicating the date all requirements have been satisfied. You will submit in person or by mail an original of this certificate along with the reinstatement fee in money order made out to the DPS.

Helpful Links





* These pages contain hypertext links to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links provide additional information that may be useful or interesting and are being provided consistent with the intended purpose of the Community Sentencing Web site. This website does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information.
Copyright © 2008-Present City of Tulsa. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design & Layout by Web Genesis Internet Marketing