Tulsa County Levee Districts

District 12 Levee

District 12

Todd Kilpatrick
Levee Commissioner
1202 East Pecan St.
Sand Springs, Oklahoma 74063

The Tulsa-West Tulsa Levee System was constructed in 1945, under the direction of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Tulsa County Drainage District No. 12 is responsible for providing the operation and maintenance for the entire levee system. The total length of levees in the system is approximately 20 miles with 11.8 miles located on the left bank of the Arkansas river and 7.9 miles located on the right bank. Additional protection from flooding is provided for the small local tributaries of Black boy, Harlow, and Cherry Creeks. The disconnected levees are known as Levees "A", "B", and "C" with Levees "A" and "B" running along the left bank and Levee "C" along the right bank. The three disconnected levees were constructed in phases beginning in 1935, suspended in 1938, restarted in 1943 and completed in 1945. The Big Heart Creek Floodway Structure consisting of five parallel 10-foot by 10-foot pressure conduits conducts the combined flows of Harlow Creek, Black Boy Creek, and the Lake Station Drainage Ditch. There are 7 pumping plants and 5 stop log structures. The levee system protects an estimated $2 billion worth of infrastructure in Sand Springs, West Tulsa and Tulsa County as well as 10,000 lives in these areas

This levee system is among the most at high risk in the nation because of aging infrastructure and design limitations in meeting new Federal Safety Standards established after 2008 with the Federal Levee Safety Program. This District was first in the USCOE Southwest Region and second in the Nation to be accepted back in the PL-84-99 Program in 2012. Total Preliminary cost estimates for rehabilitation of the system is $34 million.