Tulsa County Family Center for Juvenile Justice

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My child got arrested, what happens next?

A: Once your child is arrested they are brought to CIC (crisis Intervention center), where they are processed and given a promise to appear, for a court date which is approximately 30 days after the arrest date on a Friday If your child was not taken to CIC then you may receive a citation from A police officer with a court date. There are times when an incorrect court date is given.

Q: What if I’m given a Court date that is not on a Friday?

A: In this instance you would need to call the Family Justice Center and ask to speak to an intake counselor, who would be able to assist you. (918 596-5960).

Q: I received a letter for an appointment at the Family Justice Center (Juvenile Bureau), do I need an attorney, and does my child need to be present?

A: An attorney is not required, but it is up to the parent’s discretion on whether or not they wish to bring one. Your child does need to be present for the intake appointment.

Q: Will this offense be on my child’s permanent record?

A: When your child fills out a job application they check the box that states no arrests or convictions. A juvenile adjudication is not equivalent to an adult conviction. It should be noted that Juvenile records are confidential and that information is not provided to schools, or place of employment. The only people who have access are Court officials and the military.

Q: What can I expect during the intake interview?

A: The intake counselor will gather social information from the child and the parent or legal guardian. On minor offenses a deferred program may be recommended by the intake counselor based on the information that is gathered. On more serious offenses the report may be submitted to the District attorney’s office for review.

Q: A petition has been filed, what happens next?

A: Once a petition has been filed, an announcement or adjudication hearing will be scheduled.

Q: Does my child need an attorney for Court?

A: Yes, your child is required by law to be represented by an attorney.

Q: How do I dress for court?

A: Both parent and youth are expected to dress appropriately for court. You should wear the cleanest, neatest clothing you have for court, akin to what some would call church clothes. Avoid sagging or wearing gang colors to court or clothes that are too revealing.

Q: What if I can’t afford an attorney?

A: A pauper’s affidavit is available for the family to fill out to see if they qualify for a public defender. This is reviewed by a Judge who determines if the family qualifies for a public defender.

Q: Can I be present during my child’s interview with the public defender?

A: No, this interview is between the Public Defender and child only. The parent is not allowed to be present.

Q: Am I held responsible if my child refuses to come to court?

As long as the parent shows up for Court and explains the situation, a bench warrant will more than likely be issued for the child only. However, should the parent and child fail to appear for the Court date, a warrant may be issued for parent and child.

Q: I missed my Court date what do I do now?

A: Call your attorney or assigned intake counselor. A surrender hearing can be scheduled, if a Failure to appear warrant was issued. It is worth noting that, even though a surrender hearing has been scheduled, which allows you and your child to appear before the court and explain to the judge your failure to appear for appointments or hearings, you are not guaranteed to avoid detainment. Also, if you come into contact with a law enforcement officer you may be arrested on the warrant, even if you have scheduled a surrender hearing. During the surrender hearing the judge will either execute the warrant and detain all or some parties named in the warrant or recall the warrant and release all or some parties with a new court date.

Q: What can I expect if my child is arrested and placed in detention?

A: Once your child is placed in detention, they will be assigned an intake counselor who will contact you to get information from you regarding your child and recent behavior. Your child will have a detention hearing the following business day at 1:30p.m. That the parent/guardian will need to be present for. At this hearing it will be determined if your child will be released or remain until the filing date which is 5 business days after initial detention hearing.

Q: What do I need to bring to my child who is in detention?

A: The only thing that you are allowed and required to bring, are prescription medications that are current. You are not allowed to bring, money, clothes, or food. The Childs needs are met while in detention.

Q: Who can visit my child while in detention?

A: The only people allowed are the parents, legal guardians, or primary caretakers. Visitation is every Wednesday 6:30-7:30p.m. And Saturday and Sunday from 1:30-2:30p.m. Also, your child will be allowed an initial phone call once placed in detention and 2 phone calls a week for the remainder of their stay. The child is only allowed to call, parent/legal guardian, attorney, or therapist.

Q: What if I don’t speak English?

A: For the intake interview, if possible bring another family member or friend to translate. At the court hearing the court can provide a certified interpreter.

Q: My Child is Runaway, out of control, or refusing to attend school, what are my options?

A: They can come to the Family Justice Center, regarding a Child In Need of Supervision (CHINS). The CHINS counselor will get back to the parent within 48 hours to schedule an appointment. Should the child be runaway a pick up order can be issued. However, the child will be returned home or taken to Youth Services, or CIC. At no point will a child be placed in detention or appear before a Judge in Court, under a CHINS.

Q: Can I turn my child over to the State?

A: No, you may not give your child to the state. There are hearings and legal proceedings to follow if you feel that your child needs a level of care that you are not capable of providing alone. A family law attorney may be able to help you in such situations. If you refuse to pick up your child from detention, CIC, or Youth Services, an abandonment charge may be filed by the District attorney’s office along with DHS involvement.

Q: Are there services available for a Minor Child who runs away from home or refuses to go to school even if she or he has not gotten in legal trouble yet?

A: Yes, the Family Justice Center has a CHINS (Child In Need Of Supervision) program to assist parents in getting services to help with their child’s behavior. To initiate these services, please come to the Family Justice Center between 9 -5 on any day the Court is open (generally M-F) and fill out an information sheet. A counselor with the CHINS program will be available to meet with you immediately or will contact you quickly to make an appointment.

Q: How do I find out if my child has been assigned a counselor or case manager?

A: Generally you will be contacted directly by the counselor when your Child has been referred to the Intake or Probation departments. If you feel that your Child has been referred to the Court and have not heard anything after a reasonable period of time, you may call the Bureau’s main number at (918) 596-5971 and ask to be connected to someone who can look that information up for you. Understand that because we cannot verify your identity over the phone, someone may have to take your information and get back to you.

Q: Can I find out what a Child is referred to the Court or on Probation for?

A: Unless you are the Parent or Legal Guardian, all Juvenile Court records and proceedings are confidential.

Q: I am a school official and need to know if a Juvenile is on probation or receiving Court Services. How do I obtain this information?

A: You must submit a form to the Office of the Director requesting specific information about a specific student. Probation Counselors and/or Intake Counselors, except under special circumstances and with the approval of the Director or Chief Judge, cannot divulge information, either on the phone nor in writing to school officials regarding a youth’s charges or legal status.